Is this party wall single or double brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am trying to understand if the party wall in my 1965 mid terrace is single, double brick

I have taken this picture in the loft
I can see there is a short brick (sideways?) but don’t know what that means

Attachments

• 42FF0711-9227-44EA-84C9-742D8A9ECD5B.jpeg
    42FF0711-9227-44EA-84C9-742D8A9ECD5B.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 1,787
  • 94C8F8AC-B31B-488D-A78E-AED3B7DA2BAE.jpeg
    94C8F8AC-B31B-488D-A78E-AED3B7DA2BAE.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 2,209
Sponsored Links
Long bricks are called streachers short bricks (in fact just bricks laid the other way) are called headers. Normally laid in what is called a bond often header stretcher header stretcher and so on (Flemish bond) or a row of headers then a row of stretchers (English bond) there are many other patterns but yours does look a bit random.;)
As long as there are quite a number of headers you can assume the wall is 9" thick (double brick) a single brick wall would be all stretchers with just the odd cut half brick in a row if needed to make up the distance.

Unlikely to be a single brick wall.
In those days party walls were 9 inch solid.
Yours seems an exception, so they either built a cavity or two single skins attached with ties (less likely)
Dill the mortar in between the bricks and you will know.
Ask your neighbour to look into his loft while you do it.

Sponsored Links
Your first picture seems to show lots of headers but maybe that's just how the bricks appear in your picture.
The second shows just one which may be a cut brick.
A single brick wall between houses would seem unusual (but who knows in the 60's rush to build) if they are streachers it could still be a double cavity wall.

Only way to be sure would be to clean the mortar out of one of the joints and look through with a torch if you see another loft ( or an angry neighbour) after 4" or so it's one brick, if you see more brick it is double, if there is a gap of a couple of inches to another wall it is cavity.
Re-point the mortar to prevent fire spreading.

Why do you want to know?

Because we can hear the neighbours when they walk up the stairs or on their first floor (both sides), slamming doors etc
The joists are perpendicular to the party wall and I suspect they might be shared, is this possible?

Because we can hear the neighbours when they walk up the stairs or on their first floor (both sides), slamming doors etc
The joists are perpendicular to the party wall and I suspect they might be shared, is this possible?
I doubt it, it would have to be from a very tall tree.;)
Once the sound is in the wall it will transmit to your joists.

Whilst party walls between the rooms would be cavity or 9", lots of fire-break walls in the loft were often reduced to 4 1/2".

Sometimes these would be built central and you can see it at joist level, but sometimes not. You wont tell just by looking at the wall and a random half brick in it.

Once the sound is in the wall it will transmit to your joistsThe
Once the sound is in the wall it will transmit to your joists.

The joists don’t run the full width of my house (2 rooms); they actually terminate above the wall that separates kitchen and dining room downstairs and from there new joists run parallel to it till the next property (see picture)

That’s why I suspected they run into the adjacent houses

Attachments

• 112E5014-587B-4006-874E-6EF7E60B7AAA.jpeg
    112E5014-587B-4006-874E-6EF7E60B7AAA.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 614
No way.
I have never seen shared joists between 2 properties, unless they were all one at the beginning.

Hi There with the way you describing it i would think that the party wall is single skinned. That would be the reason to run the joists straight thru into the next house instead you and the neightbours joists resting on the wall. Over the years building firms have come up with lots of ways to cut corners and save time and money. If the houses are part of a large estate i doubt everysingle one was checked by B.C They certainly aren't now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back