Adding a new double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to have a socket added to an existing ring or radial circuit. The circuit has around 7 double sockets on it already over an area of approx. 40M2. I would have to take up a lot of floor boards to determine actual routes and lengths of existing cable.
I do have an easy access point to the supply and return cable of an existing socket, just below where I want the new socket.
So my question is whether I can just add the new socket 'in-line' with one of these cables?
That is;break one of the existing cables, add a junction box to divert to new socket then back from new socket to junction box and then continue as before.
Is this possible or will my electrician want to rip up all my floorboards and rewire entirely.
The existing circuit is protected by a 30A fuse at my CU.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its a ring main you have, you can "spur" off any socket, or at the fuse at the board. Yes you can break in to one of the cables, aslong as ring continuity is kept its not a problem. If its a radial you can just tap off any existing socket. your electrician shouldnt need to rewire the circuit - just add to it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back