Adding a roof to my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from Turkey

I am a Canadian that moved here in Turkey in a mountain village near the Mediterranean sea. I have started building my house and I need advice.

Like everyone around here I built my walls out of large bricks 6 inches wide 10 inches long and 5 inches high. On the top of my walls and windows I added reinforced concrete, basically tying the whole structure together.

Now I plan to add a cathedral style roof on this baby.

My house is 40 feet long and 30 feet wide.

I will be extending my side walls on each end with bricks to support the ridge beam and there will also be 2 support beams to help support the load, so it won't be a "perfect" cathedral but I rather be on the cautious side because it does snow around here and my roof will be made of ceramic tiles.

Is this possible with the eventual weight of a ceramic tile roof?

Also I talked to the lumber mills around here and they usually just cut at a maximum of 20 feet lenght.

Would a Scarf Joint be needed? I just read something like that on the net, I have no clue and the roof makers here are not really masters of their trade.

Sponsored Links
Hello, not quite sure of exactly what you are planning and the "2 support beams" would need further explaniation.
However, if the maximum lenght of timber is 20 feet for your 30 feet span and you want the cathedral look then it's perfectly possible to build a hammer beam trussed construction. In this the longest piece is the principal rafter onto which sit the purlins. Google it for a detail of the construction.
I shouldn't think however that it will be the cheapest option but would look very impressive and this type of roof has been standing for hundreds of years in the uk and will be more than strong enough for ceramic tiles and snow.
I would advise that you check with local laws as to what you can and can't do and should or shouldn't do as this area is a complete blank to me at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back