ROOF BEAM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is what i want to do. I am constructing a pavilion 22x26 feet. This includes 3 foot eaves. The roof will be supported by 4 6x6 posts set 16x20 feet. The roof beams will be 26 feet long total. The center span will be 20 feet with a 3 foot cantilever on each end. What I have been offered are 4 I-beams that are 8 inches high by 2-1/4 inches wide and are made of 1/8 inch steel. They are from under a mobil home. If I put two of these beams side by side, welded together on each side of the pavilion will they carry the roof load? The roof will be ribbed steel on a 4x12 pitch and the snow load in my area is 25 psf.

Sponsored Links
I think your problems will start from the ground up.

4 x 6" x 6" posts holding that lot up! A breath of wind and it will be curtains.

I don't see that as a problem as long as 45 degree angle bracing is included. By bracing I mean 3 or 4 foot pieces of 6x6 placed at 45 degree angles from the posts up to the I-beams and at 90 degrees up to the connecting rafters. These braces will be bolted to the upright 6x6s and to flanges welded to the I-beams. I believe I understand the mechanics needed to brace the structure properly but I need to know if those I-beams will carry the load across the 20 foot span.

Assuming a livee load of 25 psf and dead load (say) 10psf, two of those beams welded together would be fine.

Sponsored Links
As noseall suggested, at first I would have been concerned about wind loading, but noticed in your later post that the structure was being braced.

However, you still need to be wary of wind uplift, and need to ensure that the connection between the posts and the steel beams is sufficient to prevent uplift as well as supporting the vertical downward load.

My plan is to weld tabs on the doubled beams that will run 6 inches down on both sides of each 6x6 with thru bolts. The 6x6s will be set in reinforced concrete with one piece of rebar running thru a drilled hole in the post to prevent pullout. This pavilion will be around long after I'm gone.

That sounds OK, though don't have the bolts at the top (the ones connecting the steels to the post) too near the end of the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back