Adding a timer for a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To benefit from off peak electric i'd like to add a timer to my washing machine, probably something like a mechanical immersion time clock.

However, I am aware that the the washing machine is an inductive load so I will need to check my timer carefully.

Will a immersion timer be more likely to cope with the load? The one I am looking at says the following.

250V/13A
4000w

Would it be okay or more designed for resistive loads?

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
That would cope with the load, but you have a more fundamental problem.
You cannot programme the wash machine unless there is power connected up

Make sure Your machine will remember the programme settings should the power goes off. Otherwise your timer will switch on, then there would be power to the machine. But you'd still need to go to the machine to set the wash cycle you want and press the start button!

Many machines have a delayed start feature, so they wait for a cheap rate lekky time. I guess that us what u want to achieve?

Fortunately my washing machine will store the programme and 'turn on' without power so when the timer kicks in the machine will come on.

That is what I want to achieve, my machine doesnt have a delayed start feature...

Just wanted to check it was suitable for a inductive load. That was my concern...

There is some inductive load in something like a washing machine but afaict the bulk of the load is resistive from the heating elements.

Also if you are effectively using the timer as a delayed start and not using it to try and stop the washing machine then the timer afaict won't be directly switching the loads in the washing machine.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back