Adding another lamp to bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to add an extra fluorescent lamp in my upstairs ensuite bathroom. The bath had a single ceiling lamp with a switch outside the door. Few months ago, I got an electrician to install an extractor fan which is controlled by the same switch,

I thought I'd simply connect the new fluorescent light cable for cable to the points the electrician had wired the extractor fan.

So, I installed the flo. lamp, ran the cable upto the ceiling rose in the loft the fan is wired to. And then ran into confusion. I've got 3 cables (Live/Earth/Neutral) coming from the fluorescent fitting, but the electrician had 4 wires going to the extractor fan - Brown, Grey, Black and yellow/green!!!.

I need the same switch that controls this extractor fan to control the fluo. lamp (and also the original ceiling lamp). How woul I connect the 3 cables from the new lamp?.

Thanks for any advice.

Riz

Sponsored Links
So, I installed the flo. lamp, ran the cable upto the ceiling rose in the loft the fan is wired to. And then ran into confusion. I've got 3 cables (Live/Earth/Neutral) coming from the fluorescent fitting, but the electrician had 4 wires going to the extractor fan - Brown, Grey, Black and yellow/green!!!.
That's because it's a timed-overrun fan, so as well as a switched live, like the light, it also has a permanent one to supply it until the run-on timer switches off.

I need the same switch that controls this extractor fan to control the fluo. lamp (and also the original ceiling lamp). How woul I connect the 3 cables from the new lamp?.
To the live, neutral and earth that the existing light uses.

But if it is a ceiling rose you might find you're getting a bit tight with all those cables in there, and you should maybe consider using a junction box for the circuit & switch cables, and then cables coming out from there to the lights and the fan.

First you should learn how lighting circuits are wired though, or you're likely to get into a mess - study the info here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

If you can get access to the wiring from above it'll be easier, and you can use a normal 4-way junction box, or you might consider something like this:

ASJ501X.JPG

which if necessary can be pushed through the hole in the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back