Adding extra C.H. expansion vessel-can I use a hot water one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add another 5 litre expansion vessel to a new combi,as there are a lot of radiators. As I have a spare hot water one (blue) the right size, and don't need it for anything else, can I use it for the heating system. Or will the rubber diaphragm perhaps not like the C.H. inhibitor ?

Sponsored Links
Are you having problems without it at the moment?

Blue expansion vessels are for drinking water, you will need a red one for central heating.

Unlikely that you actually need an extra ev if you have a decent boiler, as every RGI knows.
You shouldn't meddle with boilers if you don't quite know what you are doing.

Unlikely that you actually need an extra ev if you have a decent boiler, as every RGI knows.
You shouldn't meddle with boilers if you don't quite know what you are doing.
Thank you bengasman for your attempt at a helpful explanation which I find totally unhelpful unfortunately. I suggest you learn to read english before suggesting I do not know what I am doing. Any large system in terms of volume of water in rads can require an larger than usual expansion vessel. Please feel free to ignore my post as I do not think any suggestion you might make would be worth reading, RGI or not. Anybody else who can actually read my specific question and answer it I would be grateful for a reply.

Sponsored Links
A it works
OR
B it doesn't

Worst case scenario is B in which case the PRV may operate and you will have to replace it with a red one.

Well guys, thanks for the replies. I went ahead and fitted my blue expansion vessel, precharging it to 1.25 bar instead of the 3 bar it needs for a sealed hot water cylinder system. I attached it to the new Viessmann vitodens 100-w 35 kw combi I have just fitted. As my system has 9 double and 6 single rads, and the Viessmann expansion tank inside the boiler is only 5 litres, I feel happier with the extra 5 litre expansion capacity I get by adding this blue tank. The whole system runs fine and with all rads open the pressure rises from 1.25 when cold to just under 2 bar when hot. I think this is o.k., but I will probably reduce the "when cold" pressure to 1 bar .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back