Adding extra socket to ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a ring in the loft and have a double socket fitted just above a cupboard in my bedroom, in this bedroom cupboard I have a tv and at the moment run an extension cable to a bedroom socket when needed. I would like to add a double socket to the bedroom cupboard to power the tv, could I do 5his as a radial or ring ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can either Spur off the socket in 2.5mm T&E or extend the ring by running more 2.5mm. If you spur it i suggest doing it via a FCU (fused connection unit).

Thanks for your reply the distance between both sockets would be around 1m, but can I ask why the FCU just for interest

This socket above the cupboard. Is it actually part of the ring, or is it a spur from the ring? The answer will determine if an FCU is needed or not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I have a ring fitted a couple of years back when 5he spark renewed my consumer unit and have around 6 double sockets round the attic, the one I want to connect to is right above the cupboard ceiling, in fact I could plug the tv into this socket if I wanted to but thought an extra socket down in the cupboard would be neater

Yes, you may have had a new RING final circuit, but not all of the sockets will be part of the ring.
You need to know what you've got before you start adding to it.
Take the cover of the socket off and tell us how many cables go into the socket box.

Do you have a test meter?

2 x 2.5 t&e in every socket have 2 cables coming up from the cu and 1 runs round attic one side and then back down to cu, I only say ring as I think I was told this at the time and have a breaker marked loft

It really should be tested first, but if this socket is on the ring, then you can just add a new socket connected as a spur from the socket above the cupboard.

A spur is shown here
ringcct.jpg

the spur is shown being taken from the ring itself, using a junction box, but it can be connected in the same way to the existing socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back