Adding inhibitor / anti noise fluid to heating system ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an 8 year old Potterton 50 Suprima, which makes (what I perceive to be) bubbling/kettle-like noises.

I'm assuming this might be "kettling".

The boiler has been OK (had free manufacturer-instigated PCB change in 2008, and noisy fan change/thermostat replacement/inhibitor X400 dose in 2010).

I run it near to max (necessary to keep all 8 radiators nice & hot - some of these are doubles).

No significant cold spots on radiators.

This system has not been power-flushed to my knowledge, so I wondered whether this would help.

Spoke to very helpful plumber this morning. He suggested that power flush would be probably unnecessary & that addition of combined sludge inhibitor / noise reducer might something to try.

He also suggested to get something that could just be left in e.g. didn't need subsequent system drainage.

Are there any recommended products that would be suitable ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sentinel and Fernox both make products like that, and are suitable for your system. Look for "system silencer" on the bottle. Partly drain a rad and remove the top blanking plug or the air vent plug and use a funnel to pour the silencer in. Turn the rad back on after refitting plug and vent air. Run boiler on CH, job done.

Thanks

There seems to be a bewildering array of products (inhibitors, cleaners, X400 system restorer, X200 noise reducer etc. etc.) !

Ideally I'd just like one that does both functions & can be left in the system.

The plumber suggested partially draining the CH tank (smaller of the 2 tanks next to boiler), adding, then refilling system.

But I can also do this directly into a radiator ?

I have one radiator downstairs that has a drain tap fitted - should I use this ? Bit confused about your instruction on adding into radiator - blanking plug ? air vent plug ? Only thing I've used before is the bleed valve ... ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back