Adding sockets to ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up a stud wall which has sockets in it which I am adding to the ring main. I have put all the necassary cables down the stud wall and plasterboarded it up. The problem is I neglected to put the mains cables down the walls to add them to the ring. Would I have to take one sheet of plasterboard down to put the cable through? or might there be an easier way to do it? if I do have to take the plasterboard down, will I have to put a new sheet up?

Sponsored Links
I have put all the necassary cables down the stud wall and plasterboarded it up.

The problem is I neglected to put the mains cables down the walls to add them to the ring.

So, what you mean is that you haven't put all the necessary cables down the walls.

Would I have to take one sheet of plasterboard down to put the cable through? or might there be an easier way to do it?

That really does depend on the circumstances. It would be very, very unusual to have to remove an entire sheet of plasterboard to install a few cables in a stud wall. If there are no horizontal noggins installed then simply pull out one of the dry lining boxes and use cables rods to fish the cables through.

If you did put noggins in, you'll either have to remove some plaster around those areas (a small section cut out with a close quarter hacksaw or jab saw should do) and then drill through with a wood drill bit and extension. Failing that, you can also remove a very small amount of plaster immediately in front of the noggin and notch it to allow the cable through. However, I prefer to first method, as notching can leave the cable quite close to the surface.

if I do have to take the plasterboard down, will I have to put a new sheet up?

That depends how much damage you do taking it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back