Adding vent pipe to old system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old central heating system which has a header tank but no vent.

It's been ok for 54 years except one radiator needs a bleed every now and again.

I'm considering adding a vent to the system while doing some other work, but I would only want to connect the vent to one of the heating pipes on the first floor as it's very difficult to pipe back to the boiler in the basement which I understand to be the norm.

Will it work connecting it to heating pipes on the first floor or am I wasting my time or making it worse ?

Would I connect it to the radiator pipe feed or return ?

The pump is in the return pipe, pumping into the boiler.
The tank feed is between the pump and boiler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A system of that age is probably a single pipe one, adding vents and altering pipes may cause all sorts of problems.

It's been ok for 54 years except one radiator needs a bleed every now and again.

I'm considering adding a vent to the system

Consider this: It has proven for 54 years to be adequate; the gas you need to bleed is probably caused by corrosion.

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise this was acceptable. But that's good news if it is.

used to have problems with air in the gravity hot water until a pump was installed ~18 years ago

I didn't realise this was acceptable. But that's good news if it is.

used to have problems with air in the gravity hot water until a pump was installed ~18 years ago

No it isn't acceptable, and never has been.

Perhaps you have one sticking out the roof, how big is the system, what materials etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back