Additional Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add two additionals radiators upstairs, to a new extension I have built in my dormer bungallow. I know that the system will cope, as it was only installed 18 months ago, and was designed/purchased to cope.

I want to put the two new rads in the en-suite off our bedroom - I take it I need to run the feed to the rads and then back to the exsisting rad. Can I used plastic flexy pipe rather than copper tubing to do this ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps

Barrier Pipe - what is that ? & are there any problems in using plastic pipe over copper ?

The Barrier is a layer in the middle of the pipe wall which stops oxygen diffusion and resultant corrosion. You can easily see it. Most plastic plumbing pipe IS barrier pipe now.

No real poblems with plastic pipe, though if you get a rare combination of faults it's technically popssible that it would burst. Can't put it within 1 metre of a boiler. Most people don't put it where you can see it. Carpet fitters can put knives through it. Some though, use 10mm pipe and clip it to the skirting.

If you use cut bits of copper down from the rad valves you can usually use an elbow to connect to plastic pipe under the floor. Your choices are then to use push-fit or compression fittings. Most plumbers have seen, very occasionally, a push-fit fitting leak. I no longer use them buried, I use compression instead. The ones Wickes sell are good quality and cheaper than push fit. The push fit fittings seal using "O" rings - nobody really knows how long they'll last; they get flats on them quite quickly.

Nail-in pipe clips are useful with plastic pipe.

Check out this website.

I have used their products before for extending heating runs, the product is quick and easy to fit and works well. Their technical helpline is also very good

Yes most plumbers will have tried their products. I've probably used 3-4 kilometers of plastic pipe which must mean something around 1k of fittings on it. As I said, some (several) leak, and that does not include the ones which leak because the pipe didn't get fully inserted - something which is very easy to do. One, which would hold at high peressure but popped out at low, nearly cost me ceiling(s) and carpet(s) in a block of flats.

Just because someone crosses a road without looking and gets away with it, doesn't mean it's safe to do!

ChrisR said:
I've probably used 3-4 kilometers of plastic pipe
Geeeees,that's approx 2.5 miles,must've been a hugh house,wasn't Buckingham Palace was it? :LOL:

@ChrisR

You mentioned leaks at low pressure, so if the system is pressurised (which on closed systems is) is it OK to use push-fits. For HW is better to use plastic as it reduces the heat loss. Do people avoid using plastic for CH because pipes are exposed to high temperature for longer than HW?

cheers

just an update for the people wondering how I did get on with moving that radiator.
I did use plastic pipes and pushfits and so far so good, just over a year and no leaks from the pushfits. Make sure the plastic pipes are supported well though.
There was a very tiny leak, but from another place (from a stop valve, where I isolated the old open system), which caused a pressure drop over the months, but still under lower pressure the pushfits were OK.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back