Additional skim causing blistering paint??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of moving the sink in my bathroom and on removing the tiled splashback found that the previous tiles had been laid before a previous plaster skim. We had had problems with the wall paint blistering which we had assumed was maybe because there was too much vinyl-y paint stopping the walls from breathing properly, but now are wondering whether the additional skim may be the issue? If so what is the solution? Obviously there is no skim in this area (it is now back to the original wall - the tile marks you can see are presumably the original tiles not the ones we just removed) but there still is across the rest of the room and we recently had the chimney that passes through the room removed so that has been plastered and some has obviously been smoothed over onto the original wall meaning that transition now has 2 layers of extra skim. Is this likely to be the problem with the blistering paint? What can I do now to avoid it again in future?

And following on from this, how to I fill the thickness to level off the wall? Most of it won’t have the new splashback on it so ideally I want to back to a nice smooth wall. Is there anything I can do myself or do I need to get it properly plastered?

The red circled area on the photos is the bare brick, with the original plaster on top, then above it, circled in green, is the additional skim and the blue shows the recent transition overlap where the old chimney was removed.
84CB7967-4345-4E5A-88F4-C820CB746B4B.jpeg
3B9C0213-176B-4FBD-9214-0047C4B2A4C3.jpeg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
skim wont cause blistering paint. poor preperation causes blistering paint.
i’d remove the sink and scrape all loose material off.
then prepare the whole wall and skim it all to one level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back