Adhesive for artificial veneer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice sought to fix so called self adhesive "foil" ( thin artificial veneer ) to sanded timber. Timber (deal) was previously varnished but has been sanded and cleaned to remove all varnish.

The adhesive backing to the foil holds for a short time and then releases.

Trials with warming the adhesive give similar failure.

Area is circa 1200mm by 650mm. Foil to be curved around the rounded edges by gently warming. The curving is sucessful ( other than failing to remain attached.

Sponsored Links
When you say "foil" and "thin artificial veneer" do you mean a decorative laminate, such as Formica with a pre-glued back? Or something else? Most adghesives used for pre-glued materials are what are called PSA or pressure-sensitive adhesive. These tend not to be very good on curved surfaces. So what type of "foil" is it?

Scrit

Scrit said:
When you say "foil" and "thin artificial veneer" do you mean a decorative laminate, such as Formica with a pre-glued back? Or something else? Most adghesives used for pre-glued materials are what are called PSA or pressure-sensitive adhesive. These tend not to be very good on curved surfaces. So what type of "foil" is it?

Scrit

It is very similar to formica but much thinner than the formica I remember and flexible enough to be rolled around a 3 inch diameter core for delivery. Softens when gently warmed.

It seems to stick better to a varnished surface than it does to sanded timber but even so once a corner is lifted it can detach very easily.

Sponsored Links
It was supplied by William Ball but the I do not know the manufacturer.

The pattern is Pear wood.

I am not going to able to do anything about this for a week now due to an last minute panic taking me away for a few days from early tomorrow. So please understand if I do not reply for a while.

Thanks

Bernard

I have finally got back to the task.

The adhesive backing will not remain "stuck" on sanded timber detaching some time after pressure is removed.

The adhesive backing doesn't dry but remains tacky yet not tacky enough to make a permanent fix.

I have tried using various ahesives as a second layer between timber and veneer. They stick firmely and permanently to the timber but the adhesive backing still detaches from the second layer.

Problem solved....

Bostik impact adhesive used with a bit of care gives a permanent fix.

Ironically the adhesive sticks to metal instantly and securely ( almost un-removable )

Might be similar to Evostick Impact Adhesive I used to use.

My other favourite glue was Dunlop Thixofix, it was a lot easier when I used to do formica on worktop, if you made an error you have time to move it to the correct position unlike evo-stick!

Is designed for bonding laminated plastics (Formica, Wareite, Arborite, Armaboard, Pirelli, Perstorp, etc) to wood, hardboard, chipboard, etc. It is a very versatile adhesive and will bond laminated plastics, rigid PVC, cork, rubber, leather, fabrics, wood, painted and unpainted metal, hardboard, plaster, plasterboard, chipboard, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back