Adoptable and Non-adoptable inspection chamber products

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing a public sewer diversion in my garden by installing two new HDPE inspection chambers by removing the existing concrete/brick manhole. The water company expects us to install an "Adoptable" inspection chamber product. However, I saw that the builder has brought Polypipe UG440 which is categorised as a non-adaptable inspection chamber. In theory, if it is from the Polypipe brand, the inspection chambers should be SFA440 type. Since this job is already priced, I understand that the builder would keep the cost of material as minimal as possible. However, the inspector from the water company will probably ask them to change it to SFA440 or a similar product instead that's listed as "adoptable".

Other than the fact of how many properties it would serve, is there any real difference in the dimensions or construction quality between Adoptable and Non-adoptable inspection chambers?

Sponsored Links
If you asked the builder to price for adoptable materials then that's what they should be supplying, if you didn't specify the your going to have to swallow the extra cost and chalk it up to experience.

If you asked the builder to price for adoptable materials then that's what they should be supplying, if you didn't specify the your going to have to swallow the extra cost and chalk it up to experience.
The real question is not who's going to bear the additional cost. The specification was clearly there on the documents I sent him. The builder has 30 years of experience in the area and he priced the job by saying that they know what they do after making sure that it is a public sewer. Therefore, he didn't ask me for any more money; (while cursing at the water company) he told me not to worry as he would sort everything out. I have paid everyone who worked at my property more than they asked so far and I don't have a problem in paying the additional money that would be required to exchange these to adoptable products. (It's not a big amount compared to what I paid to authorities so far to get approvals). Honestly, I wouldn't let him finish the job and leave unhappy either.

I mainly asked this question as the builder looked very distressed when I was reminded that the water company asked for 'adoptable' products after seeing what he had bought. He told me that some inspectors don't even question such specifications and allow them to install those products. He is an experienced builder and if the water company allows it ultimately, I don't have to worry about it and trouble the builder either.

I am specifically checking if these 2 types of products have a significant difference in construction quality etc in case the inspector allows the builder to install the products they have already bought. Because I couldn't find a single source online regarding this even though product manufacturers have non-adoptable and adoptable products on their brochures. Even when checked, I can't observe a difference. Therefore, I wonder if there is a real difference or if it is a matter of product marketing with certifications.

Sponsored Links
He probably did look distressed as it's going to cost him both time and money, I'd also be mildly concerned about how many other things he may have supplied not to spec, it's not unusual for a builder to quite for x, deliver y and pocket the difference along with whatever mark up they put on aswell.

Suggesting the building inspector may not even look is a poor response aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back