Moving a public inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in talks with the water authority re the position of a public sewer manhole at the rear of a proposed single story extension. As it stands, the extension is planned to be built right up to the chamber cover. The water authority have agreed that we can make adaptations to this chamber / site a new chamber at this site, so long as it sits 300mm from the proposed extension. The foundations are not an issue as these are cantilevered well away from the sewer line.

The existing sewer beneath the chamber cover is actually off-centred (see rough sketch), and sits 350mm from the extension. Is there a way to modify a chamber, and offset it in the other direction, so that the access sits 300mm or more from the extension?

The alternative solution to this is to decommission this chamber and then construct a new one elsewhere on the line, which we could do but would involve much more work.

I hope I've made my self clear.

Thank you

Attachments

• tempImageEoolal.png
    tempImageEoolal.png
    917.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.01.01.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.01.01.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
If this is public sewer you’ll need an formal agreement with the water company and involve your BCO in it to

Yes, this is what I am in the process of now. As stated, they would be happy to give permission so long as we can get the chamber cover 300mm or more away from the extension.

Yes, this is what I am in the process of now. As stated, they would be happy to give permission so long as we can get the chamber cover 300mm or more away from the extension.
Why is there a chamber there at all? Looking at your sketch, there is just the appearance of through channel. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Why is there a chamber there at all? Looking at your sketch, there is just the appearance of through channel. Is this correct?
This chamber receives drainage from the kitchen and bathrooms of the house. It will either need to be moved or modified.

So, any thoughts on whether it is practically possible to re-orientate the chamber cover to sit further away?

So, any thoughts on whether it is practically possible to re-orientate the chamber cover to sit further away?
No, as it appears the channel bends then won't fit.

Maybe replace with a plastic chamber - check the dimensions and attributes of a standard plastic chamber and compare with your pipe layout.

No, as it appears the channel bends then won't fit.

Maybe replace with a plastic chamber - check the dimensions and attributes of a standard plastic chamber and compare with your pipe layout.
Thanks Woody. Is there a source of info that I can learn more on what is / isn’t acceptable?

If a 450x600 chamber was orientated ‘portrait’ then this would still give good access to the drains I would have thought?

Thanks Woody. Is there a source of info that I can learn more on what is / isn’t acceptable?

If a 450x600 chamber was orientated ‘portrait’ then this would still give good access to the drains I would have thought?
Borrow a 600mm circular plastic chamber bottom (or buy then return) from your local Builders merchants. Site it above the drain line, then look to see if it's feasible.

Thanks for those that responded with advice. The water authority has approved this idea and a groundwork’s team have confirmed that it is possible to build the new chamber off set to ensure adequate clearance from the building

Get building control to agree the bend and channel layout first. The dimensions/positions of the offsets/bends are crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back