local water authority and moving an inspection chamber...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have been speaking to my local water authority and it seems as though they have little clue as to where the waste water flows from my neighbours property throught to mine, then finally to the main road. They have no mapping and have no clue as to where the inspection chambers are in my garden.

One of the chambers falls under the proposed side extensions footings.

Theoretically, could I get a builder to move the chamber without informing the authority and plead 'non the wiser' if need be??

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Theoretically, could I get a builder to move the chamber without informing the authority and plead 'non the wiser' if need be??

Any help appreciated.
I'm doing this now and if it's within 3m then you'll need to apply for the application to build over or near to a public sewer

Is the manhole on a shared run or is it just serving your property?

Water companies are notorious for having poor records, it is the norm. You can do whatever you like but the bottom line is that if you move a shared pipe or manhole and there ends up being a problem with it and if they became involved and considered you or your building works were to blame then the water company may well come after you for the cost of putting it right. One assumes you have Building Control involved? They will likely expect you to get the water company involved unless the perceived risks are small and they are that way inclined.

That said I don’t doubt that this goes on all the time.

The pipes are on a shared run. Im at the end of the run!

Im not planning to apply for PP until early next year. Extension project to commence in march 15 hopefully.

Was thinking to move the pipework this year with a mate and then the architect and the water company would be non the wiser..
plus I would save the £380 they want.

Sponsored Links
OK, illegalities aside bear in mind the aforementioned. Obviously don't bugger it up or cause a blockage or tell your neighbours to avoid flushing the loo or they'll be on the blower to Thames Water! Better hope BC don't get wind either.

Some people, I don't know! :rolleyes: :LOL:

The pipes are on a shared run. Im at the end of the run!

brickiequickie said:
waste water flows from my neighbours property throught to mine, then finally to the main road

Please explain how you manage to simultaneously be on the end of a pipe run and in the middle of a pipe run?

i've recently had a build over and its now all signed off by building control.

My neighbour got a bit miffed about noise and complained to the council about lots of things including sewers. Its not worth the risk in the long run. Spend the money and get it done right it will save you a whole world of problems later on. When you take this cost into the bigger picture its not worth cutting the corner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back