Advice about ground floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I have been renovating my grandmothers old house (1900's terrace) with a view to move as soon as possible.
Everything so far has been going great, all upstairs is plastered and downstairs is on thr brink of being ready but I've got a problem that i can't find out how to fix it.

Ive had 4 gangs of groundworkers/floorers around to look at the job but none have got back to me so I've decided to go ahead and do the job myself. I'm a plasterer of about 18 years and can turn my hand to most things but knowing the correct way to do it/advice is where i need some help here.

Downstairs Ive knocked through 2 walls downstairs (lounge, dining room, kitchen and made it all open plan. That all has gone fine. Ive damproofed and renderered all the walls, Its sparked and plumbed 1st fix.
Where the knockthrough is between the lounge and dining room the floors are different heights by about 50mm with both floors being not level in all directions.

The floors are concrete (and Ive been informed from my parents that they have both been recently redone) with a coat of asphalt on top thats about 20mm thick. The asphalt hasnt cracked or broken up but its not the flattest thing in the world.

I want the whole of the downstairs to be one flat level but what is the correct procedure to do this? Do i remove the asphalt (very easy to do i smashed a bit of near where i knocked the wall down) or screed over it?, How do i know if I need a DPM and how and when in the process do i add it?

Tips for screeding would be very welcome like mix ratio, setting out, materials, amount (I will measure up tomorrow and put area on here). I'm confident i can do it all but as i said its knowing the procedure as for some reason I've never done any screeding at all in my career.

I will post some pictures hopefully tomorrow if i get back from work in time, just so it might make it easier.

Well, Thanks in advance for any help and it will be much, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could prime the bitumen and lay a 50mm sand/cement screed (sharp sand @ 5 to 1 cement. Then lay a poured screed over the top of all for level.

Really need to see the levels for correct advice tho>>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back