Nightmare floor. .asphalt ufh and screed issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've bought a new house and having nightmares with floors.

Mostly carpeted with felt underlay which doesn't radiate any heat at all. I decided to tackle 1 room at a time. ..a friend removed carpet screeds floor expensive karndean floor. .heating then really works but realise floor is about as level as north Sea. asked to come back to resolve refused sub floor is asphalt so it's the problem. 700 quid in at this point.

Next guy comes along says he will take up karndean screed properly make it level and re lay the karndean..so I thought this was solution he starts getting it up said it was not primed right or screed right the first time so all the screed is now stuck to karndean instead of sub floor. .basically karndean is now scrap as impossible to reuse it due to how much is stuck to it.

So I'm 900 quid into this as it's been screeded again now and I now need to buy another new floor.

I wonder if the asphalt sub floor is so bad will anyone be able to get it level or am I ****ing in the wind.

Can I lay ceramics or engineered wood onto the screeded asphalt. ..it has wet ufh beneath this . and would this be best way to get it flat?

Lifting the floors in other rooms I realise all the asphalt floors are just wonky . .now no spec from builder, but I do wonder if it's even suitable product to have above ufh and will just soften and move regardless.

Would appreciate some help as losing the will to live here and endless bills.

Sponsored Links
Is this a brand new house?
Was the UFH already installed when you moved in? Have you spoken to the UFH Mfr's?

Has a professional flooring company been on site and performed work? More than one company? What exactly did they do?

Who selected the Karndean?
Who laid the Karndean?

Hi thanks for reply

Yes brand new house with wet ufh system when I moved in. had the manufacturers round who said it's setup wrong worst installation they have seen. .but it works sort of .

My partners uncle screeded and laid the karndean. He owns a flooring shop. I picked it was told it was fine for my requirements.

So the person who took it up said the previous screed was laid wrong without primer so when he removed the karndean the screed came up with it.

The guy who put down the screed blamed the builder for the poor quality asphalt

I've already put in a complaint about the floor and heating system but builder unresponsive and premiere guarantee waste of time so far.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that it all sounds a bit confusing to be advising you from a web site.
Plus the detail of the floor construction is unusual from my experience.
Not knowing if this was a one-off or part of an estate of new builds doesn't help but, whatever, the Building company or Contractor cannot walk away from their responsibilities - so perhaps you need a heads up with a solicitor?

Yeah it's messy. .and to me the only solution is just pay for it all myself because solicitors may well get me nowhere and they money could go towards the work. no one has made sense of the floor why it has asphalt on it. .and god only knows why it was left so lumpy and hidden with thick carpet. .cowboy builders eh . .I'm going grey quickly

Yes but not directly from my knowledge the asphalt is laid on top of the floor that the pipes are set in.

What screed was used in the Ashpalt. It can be levelled but you can't screed over 6mm so it can take a few coats

No idea anything that requires input from the builder is out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back