Advice for concrete flat roof / condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a pre 1900 Victorian house that has had an extension that consits of smaller building. This small extension has a reinforced concrete roof.

Inside, the extension is separated by one wall/3 small rooms. Whilst looking to repaint a couple of months ago, I noticed that the plasterboard on the ceiling was very 'old' and you could actually push/move it. Being brave (or stupid!) I chipped off the old to see what lie underneath (or overhead in this case) - and naturally it reveals the actual concrete roof. Wondering what next to do, I left it a week or so and notice that the inside of the concrete roof, where it now has no plasterboard is continually 'wet'

The outside of the concrete roof seems to be well painted with black bitchumen type material, so I am now wondering if this is actually condensation.

There is little heating, no windows and the next main room is the kitchen.

Clearly now, I want to get the ceiling replastered eventually, but is there anything available to 'stick' to the ceiling/concrete to insulate it (polystyrene etc??) - and is it a magnet to condensation because the fact that it is exposed concrete and is very cold?

I also have no extractor in the kitchen and tend not to open windows whilst cooking, so possibly all the heat from the kitchen is winging its way to this cold area?

Other parts of the extensions roof (which still has plasterboard) - do not seem to be affected.....and they are the rooms that are not adjoining the external walls of the extension?

Could this be the problem??

Sorry for the questions...Im am new home-owner!!

Sponsored Links
Ive opened doors etc (windows) and now the ceiling has dried...

It REALLY rained last night, and this morning the inside STILL dry, so I hope that means that the concrete roof isnt leaking.

Im going to leave the window slightly open (night locked) to see if the additional ventilation helps

But, that aside, if I confirm that the concrete isnt leaking, and I want to replaster the ceiling, should I treat it, affix anything to the bare concrete inside first??

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back