Flat concrete roof rust

I don’t have access to a metal detector, I like the idea of a metal detector but not sure how you would determine if you’re picking up the metal shuttering or any additional reinforcement.

I would expect it would show regular metal, every few inches - like modern reinforcing steel, rather than the all over metal throughout the underside of the roof.

Sponsored Links
You might be able to rent one... I’ve used a Hilti one before to find if a large cast lintel had reinforcement in it.

You might be able to rent one... I’ve used a Hilti one before to find if a large cast lintel had reinforcement in it.

Or buy one, they are not expensive and have lots of uses, possibly see if there is a local metal detectorist or club near.

Whilst repairing, it would be a good idea to think of ways to stop further damp issues continuing the corrosion.

I'd also advise shot blasting the underneath, it'll get in better than the wire wheel.

I'd then Seal it using an epoxy resin, this epoxy resin will also act as a barrier for the condensation and hopefully stop any further corrosion

Sponsored Links
Whilst repairing, it would be a good idea to think of ways to stop further damp issues continuing the corrosion.

I'd also advise shot blasting the underneath, it'll get in better than the wire wheel.

I'd then Seal it using an epoxy resin, this epoxy resin will also act as a barrier for the condensation and hopefully stop any further corrosion

Any advice on a specific product for the epoxy?
Also is a rust converter necessary as well?

Hi Nick,

What was your solution to this in the end? I have a similar problem. An old lean on concrete flat roof garage with some rust in the ceiling. I'm wondering whether if it is salvagable or knock down and start again. You can see in the pics that we got battered in the last storm before christmas. It could be a big project - can't really afford to hire someone to do, so would look to do it DIY.

Advice, much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_4222.jpg
IMG_4221.jpg
IMG_4220.jpg

My planned solution (not completed yet) is to clean up any lose material on the underside of the roof, treat the rusted metal with an anti-rust product, and then apply an ‘inverted warm roof’ setup on the outside of the slab. Details about this type of roofing solution can be found - Kingspan is especially helpful in this respect.
Your roof problem appears to be on a smaller scale to what I am dealing with. Perhaps worth costing out as best you can the options -from the smallest intervention to the other extreme of knocking it down completely- and making a judgement based on that. Don’t know what your skill level is but it would require significant research and effort to do it all yourself. All depends on your timescale and budget constraints. Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back