Advice for old plastered walk in cupboard 'fix -up'

KjG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love that I've found this website and hoping that some of you might be able to offer some advice to help point me in the right direction!

I have a walk in cupboard/small storage room in a 1920's lower cottage flat, it's a complete mess so excuse the junk! However, it's old tatty plaster and some bits crumbling, over the years different owners have added dodgy looking shelving and woodwork, and ripped some off in the process. Please see images attached. Once cleared out of course, what would be the best way to get this to a clean finish with new solid shelving for long term storage use? Should I take out all the woodwork and re-skim(?) with plaster? Or put battens over it all to level it then cover everything with plasterboard? Whatever I end up doing I want to make as much use of the space as possible so no wanting to build out from the current wall level if possible.

I really don't know where to start with it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
Not a plasterer myself but dot and dab plasterboard comes to mind less space lost than battens, if a cupboard just fill the fixing holes and decorate direct or perhaps hang lining paper rather than going for a skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back