Advice need on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys,

I hope you guys can give me some advice on the best to fill the edge of the window board (mdf). I was thinking perhaps use a two part wood filler all the way up the edge of the window wall. Once dry and sanded back, cut 1mm away and fill with a flexible non shrink caulk to stop any movement cracks down line before I paint over with primer and satinwood.

What would you recommend?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
I completely understand why you want to break the bridge between the filler/board and wall, makes sense. Unfortunately, the process of cutting back will probably break the filler away.

I would push some thin but rigid polythene (eg cut a rubble sack in to strips). It will stop the 2K filler from touching the plaster. Once sanded back, you can cut away the excess before caulking.

Alternatively, use a MS polymer rather than a caulk. They are far more flexible and able to bridge the gap but you will end up with a bigger radius. That said, I would use the 2k filler and caulk though.

May be fill the wall side with jointing compound and paper tape over that to give you a clean edge. Then fill the remaining gap on the sill board with hybrid polymer sealant that will not crack and paintable. Caulk will always crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back