Advice Needed , Garden summer house/Gazebo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

So, I'm planning on building a garden room in the back garden with attached gazebo area. I have decided that i will build this out of Brick. I'm a competent DIY'er but need advice please. The build will be L shaped with garden room to the right and gazebo/BBQ are to the left. Original plan was to build this out of brick and breeze with insulated cavity, flat sloped roof with rubber roof membrane. The total height will not exceed 2.5m however i want to keep costs to a minimum so have thought about the possibility of building the cavity bick/breeze wall to 1.25m and carrying the internal breeze up to the 2.5m height. Then finishing the other 1.25m external out of timber, insulated the OSB boarded with membrane the to clad. Plan Below

Total Dimensions

1675257470984.png

Is this possible ? and if so would i need to include piers to the breeze to cope with the single breeze height?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I built an outside shed, timber framed insulated and same roof as you are considering. If it were me I’d complete it in brick & breeze instead of having a break halfway up, just to keep the same material and thermal properties throughout.
If you can afford it keep it the same.
Later you could always add a wooden cladding g for the effect if that’s what you want it to look like.
It’s just an opinion and someone may offer better options.
I have no issues with my complete wooden structure but if I had the space I’d build out of brick/breeze block too.

Its over 30 sq ms so needs building regs approval either way.

Blup

Sponsored Links
What does the sq meterage have to do with planning or buidling regs?.

1. The garden room cabin isn't in front of the house.
  2. The total area of all extensions, sheds and outbuildings - including the proposed garden room - does not cover more than 50% of the total area of land around my house.
  3. It is single storey and within 2 metres of my boundary, so my maximum height is 2.5 metres.
  4. The eaves are no more than 2.5 metres above ground level.
  5. It doesn't have a balcony, veranda or raised platform.
  6. It isn’t self-contained living accommodation
The actual floor area of the garden room is 3.5x3m = 10.5sq meter
The actual floor area of the open gazebo area is 6x2.5 = 15 sq meters

I dont think the open area would fall in this scope but if it did the total floor area is 25.5sq meters ?

thanks

Last edited:
I think its do with fire prevention, fire and rescue get called to a lot of shed fires which can spread. I dont see a problem structurally with what your suggesting, its a bit like a roof, its weight should be self stabilising. Maybe some restraint straps between the block and the timber uprights.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back