Advice Needed on Painting Stained Internal Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need to help the mother in law out....... and i have picked the short straw. Need some advice on painting her new place.

Anyway she has just been given a bedsit/flat by the council as she was living with other family members for the time being. She works and is on low income so the bedsit was the only option.

It looks like the previous tenant may have smoked inside a few years back as it looks like nicotine stains on every wall, ceiling, skirting and doors but there is no smell of a smoker in there so must be sometime again.

She wants it painting before she moves in but am i right thinking if i just paint over without sealing everywhere first that the stains will just bleed though at some point. A few people have suggested using a primer and stain blocker on everything first before painting. The walls currently have wall paper on which i want to leave on and just paint over.

Issue is the primers and stain blockers are very expensive

Any tips or advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back