Advice on boarding bathroom floor for vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking to replace bathroom carpet with vinyl but currently have floor boards. I am planning on boarding over the floor boards with thin ply wood (3mm) and then laying the vinyl on top of this. I was just wondering whether it is normal to just cut around the toilet and sink or whether you should remove them, board under them, and then put them back again. If I need to remove the toilet and sink then I would probably put in a new suite at the same time. Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can either template the floor around the pedestals or remove them, it's entirely personal prefference.

The industry standard prep for sheet vinyl would be 4mm pre-wet hardboard or 6mm ply. The ply may need some microcoat to level recessed screwheads etc if you scre rather than pin it, hardboard will be fine pinned.

Thank you for the info - it is ok to use hardboard rather than ply - I was wondering whether this would be sturdy enough?

Thank you for the info - it is ok to use hardboard rather than ply - I was wondering whether this would be sturdy enough?

If you are levellIng the floor over existing floor Oates and the levels aren't too bad and it's a loose laid product, hardboard is fine. If the floor is very uneven or you want extra strength or you are fixing the product directly to the subfloor, you will need ply

Sponsored Links
Take the sink an toilet out mate if you can an fit ply an the vinyl. Then put them back in. That's if the heights are ok.

If you install the pedestals tight ontop of the vinyl, it's very likely the vinyl will bubble and require easing where it is restricted from expanding/contracting (which it designed to do)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back