Is adhesive needed on Vinyl Flooring ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to fit my Vinyl flooring to my bathroom and toilet which are seperate.

I have prepared the area by fitting a sheet of 3.6mm ply to the floor, nailed down in all the recommended spaces.

I have cut the vinyl floor to suit which fits perfect and fits flat to the floor.

I am unsure, whether or not, it is necessary to stick adhesive between the vinyl and ply. In the bathroom the vinyl will be held down be the doorstrip and the pedestal basin that will be fitted onto the top of it. In the toilet the vinyl will be held in place by the doorstrip and the toilet that will be fitted on top of it.

What are the pros and cons of using adhesive to hold floor down.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
using any kind of adhesive is not normally required, vinyl flooring is usually loose laid.

....should you ever wish to change the floor in the future and you have used an adhesive it will almost certainly leave a residue, usually a lumpy deposit on the floor and this usually requires (in your case) the boarding to be replaced before any replacement flooring is laid

well done on cutting the vinyl to a perfect fit - that is usually the hardest part!

You would do well to ask your retailer if it suitable to do as you propose,some vinyls 'stretch' if they are not fully adhered.
mack

Sponsored Links
Herewith I would like to share a basic idea for adhesion.

For full adhesion, spread the adhesive material onto the entire floor surface and roll the vinyl flooring back down into place. Seat the flooring with a hand roller or block, applying firm pressure to ensure good adhesion. Allow to dry for two to four hours—until there's a solid bond. If you fully adhere the vinyl, keep heavy traffic and furniture off it for at least the first 24 hours.

most vinyl sheets are nowerdays just attached around all edges with doublesided stickey tape. then easy to replace at a later date if needed

You would do well to ask your retailer if it's suitable to do as you propose,some vinyls 'stretch' if they are not fully adhered.
mack
Ask the retailer it's easier than finding out the "hard" way.
mack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back