Bathroom Floor options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've been looking around but can't find a definitive answer to my question.

I'm about to replace our bathroom suite including removing the floor tiles.

It is a concrete floor and my wife is keen to have vinyl flooring as its easier to clean (we have a young son)

Its only a small room (2.3x1.5m) so currently i'm thinking I should remove the floor tiles, clean as much residual adhesive off as possible, lay ply fit suite, fit vinyl.

Or should the order be fit suite, lay ply (cut around toilet, pedestal etc) fit vinyl.

How should i fix the ply to the concrete floor? is something like grip fill appropriate? and would this need sealing in some way?

I hope that makes sense!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
If the concrete surface is in reasonable condition then its common to lay the vinyl directly on to the concrete.
Lift the WC and any pedestal and re-fit them on top of the vinyl - dont attempt to work around them.

Often the in-place tiles and adhesive can be readily removed.
Any remaining, stubborn adhesive can be removed with a sander, or an angle grinder.

There are very thick cushioned sheet vinyls available.
There are various ways of fixing the vinyl in place - some vinyls can be flopped down in a dry fit and left that way esp. with fixtures and skirting on top.
If possible, make a full size template of the room and cut the vinyl from the template.

FWIW: why not get a flooring person in to do the job esp. if there are any damp issues?

How flat and sound are the tiles? Would I be considered a complete bodger to suggest vinyl over the tiles?!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I could lay vinyl over the top but, the current toilet and pedestal are set into the floor and tiled around so would need filling.

I could use self levelling compound to level the floor but i was hoping ply would be quicker.

Any other ideas anybody? cheers Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back