Advice on ceiling repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room ceiling has developed a crack in the plaster near the edge. The plaster beyond the crack has started to "sag" in one small area, causing an unsightly hole - see pics. The ceiling was re-boarded and plastered around 8 years ago.

Could anyone advise what needs doing to repair this damage? Is it something I could attempt myself (no real expertise) or does it require a professional?

Sponsored Links
If it was previously re-boarded because of a structural fault then the present structural conditions are worth investigating.
But maybe there's no backing for the edge of the board at the wall?
Do the floorboards above look uneven or do they creak?
Can you lift a floor board above the crack?
I should imagine that the joists will run at right angles to the plaster board crack.
From the crack to the wall its unusual for a professional to piece in such a narrow length of board.

It should be a simple repair but first you have to find out what caused the crack and sag.

It's a bungalow so no floorboards upstairs. I went into the loft for a look but couldn't see anything untoward. As suggested, I've now pulled down the loose plaster and taken another pic - see below. It's revealed a wooden beam (joist?), the edge of which runs parallel with the crack. The beam seems OK, no damp or damage evident. I'm no expert, but it looks like perhaps the ceiling plasterboards have been fitted against this beam, and moved over time causing the crack.

As regards a repair, is it just a case of pulling down anything that's loose, filling the resultant hole with plaster and re-painting?

Sponsored Links
I'm struggling to see the plasterboard have you taken plasterboard off the beam? Or was it just plaster you took off? Also there's no scrim

I wondered about that too. I only removed plaster so it looks like the plaster was applied directly to the beam around the edge of the ceiling. So I guess I'd have to do the same in order to repair it.

No don't do that it needs doing properly your going to have to cut back to this nearest joist in order to fit the plasterboard the coving will never to come off as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back