advice on double glazed window companies please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking for any opinions on these two double glazed windows. Anything at all on the stuff I don’t understand, what questions to ask, etc. Anything will help!

I’m looking to replace my PVC windows; 6 tilt and turns.

I’ve had two quotes from local companies. I’m still trying to find anyone who’s used either of them before to ask if they were pleased with the work or not, so at the moment, I’m going on the windows they supply.

One company said they supply VEKA windows, which I had read on here were a good company. But the brochure they gave me was for ‘Consort’ windows. It has a wee Veka logo on the back, but I’m confused. It appears that Consort manufacture the windows, so what does Veka have to do with anything? What exactly are Veka?

Anyway, according to the Consort brochure, their details are;
- Lead-free 70mm profile
- U-value of up to 1.6
- Aluminimum spacer
- Argon filled
- Secured by design (police preferred)

The other company supply Inliten windows. According to their brochure, their details include;
- 15 year guantantee
- Lead free on all visable surfaces, 70mm profile
- Positive drainage system
- Fully welded
- 100% virgin PVCu
- Warm edge spacer bar
- Soft coat glass
- U-value of 1.4

By the little I’ve learned whilst doing research, I know that argon filled is good and that warm edge spacer is better than aluminimum. So 1 company has an aluminimum spacer, and argon filled. The other company have warm edge spacer, and says that negates the need for expensive gases. So I’m guessing they aren’t argon filled? But they seem to have a better u-value?

The Inliten ones also say things like 100% virgin PVC (what difference does that make?), fully welded and with drainage channel, which the other one doesn’t. But is that just because it’s obvious stuff that maybe is taken for granted that it’s got?

On a side note, one of the companies says it uses soudal gun grade expanding foam whilst fitting and that they offer a free glass breakage repair cover for 5 years.. just in case anyone has any opinions on that...?

Sorry for all the waffling but i want to make the right decision as I don’t want to have to do this again for a good while!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As with anything, research makes everything a lot more complicated.

While you are comparing two window companies (installers), those companies will usually get their windows extruded (manufactured) by another company, who themselves use a window system "profile" (design) produced by a UPVC company.

So all these stages will have an effect on how good the windows are.

You may have a really good profile "design" but it is badly manufactured and badly installed.

Or you can have a poor cheap design and it is installed to a high standard.

Window installers usually stick to or find a preferred window profile as they get used to how it installs. Fully welded at point of manufacture is also usually more desirable....

The profile that gets a lot of mention as being of good quality is Rehau I hae also heard that Duraflex and Eurocell are ok....

So you must find out what profile your UPVC company uses. That question alone will raise eyebrows if you ask it....

Next, stay clear of large UPVC companies and their mass marketing campaigns, free upgrade incentives and free window offers....

Look for a good local independent installers with a good track record. Ask for contacts for recent examples of their work. Do your research so you know what is good and bad practice...read the back log of experience on here...use the search function....

If you are getting windows for bay areas which are load bearing, you must ensure that the upvc windows are re-enforced.

I think you're reading too much into it, the glass units themselves cost hardly anything having replaced lots of them. A lot of frame profiles are pretty much the same apart from subtle differences to give them their own identity and brand. Just look for a local company with premises that's been there for several years. Then it comes down to the price.

I pretty much agree with Dishman on this.

Your best bet is to go for recommendations, anyone can fit a window badly so see who has the best recommendation.

Profiles, again they are much the same now days with lead free becoming the norm. Veka are a long established brand, Inliten are a new one to me but again it doesn't mean they are no good. Personally I'd recommend Liniar but that's my personal opinion from experience.

Warmedge spacer is a must, it will help stop the condensation in the corners of your windows. An aluminium spacer being metal will transfer cold through to the inside.

Argon gas whilst fantastic and should only add a few £££'s per window will escape and be non effective within a few years but whilst it's there it will create an inert cavity to stop cold transferring through to the inner pane. In certain circumstances you'll get condensation on the outside of the glass in spring and autumn which shows it's doing it's job.

100% virgin PVC means no impurities, no chalk, no lead, no recycled plastic. It is better and means your windows will look nicer longer.

They'll both be fully welded with drainage channels, but if not and mechanically butt jointed then avoid. Butt joints let in draughts and are not as strong as welding ( sometimes they cannot be avoided due to small sizes )

I foam fill around the perimeter of windows I fit just to give an extra insulation. It is NOT waterproof and shouldn't be used as a sealant but in conjunction with silicon. If this is the case then that's a plus for the company that said it.

Replacement glass shouldn't be expensive, dependent on the size that is and how much your going to get charged to get it fitted. I'll keep an eye out for your post on " how much should a sealed unit cost? " lol.

Secured by design. Hmmm the brand new lock I stripped and fixed at the weekend had this stamped on it :mad:

So finally the profiles offered look ok but you need to find out the fitting companies reputation.
Argon yes (if not too expensive )
Warmedge yes

Hopefully that's all you need to know.

Good luck with it all :D

Sponsored Links
windows have a rating system now too, like appliances for example (A-rated,B-rated etc) obviously a rated are a good choice. but as said before the fitting is a big part of it, soudal foam is good yes, but at £4 a tin its not exactly something that is a special upgrade, most fitters use it (aswell as fixings)

Hi I have bought from the Camden group using their own product called inliten Windows. I placed 2 orders. Delivery 1 had a door weld not inline with the other, the window beads were very hard to fit even with silicone spray , the delivery was late and the handle spindle fell out of the box during transport as it was fitted to the door frame on the outside of the vehicle. Delivery 2 again late , beads even harder to fit and actually were splitting so had to get other beads sent for us to cut, window shootbolt broken and was sent anyway so had to get a new lock sent from Ireland, a bead had wood manufactured inside it and was clearly visible but was sent anyway, they sent 550 mm vents to fit over a 200 mm vent slot and was told they only supply one size so we will have to cut them down, they just insisted on payment without resolving the problems they had caused and accused me of blackmailing them. The invoiced total is much more than first quoted as the staff I had delt with have inadequate product knowledge, no idea how to speak to customers , no interest in building a client relationship, no quality control . I have pictures of these product problems incase the company try to defend themselves . Hope this review helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back