Advice on Double Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started to look into changing our existing double glazing. The current windows are the original on a 12 year house. The seals have gone (lots of air coming through and no resistance to closing), the French doors have large gaps, awful security, glass is freezing cold on a cold day etc. Both sales guys think it is the worst fitting they have ever seen!!

We are looking at replacing 10 windows, 1 bay window, 2 doors with composite doors and a french door (14 units in total).

We've had 2 quotes so far at £8,300 for triple glazing and georgian bars.

I've got no knowledge of uvpc double glazing.

Can someone please let me know what sort of spec to look out for e.g.

the best profile
locks to go for
composite doors etc
Best glass
How can I tell if the uvpc units are any good?
Any tips to get the best deal?

Are the above quotes any good, both are with local firms?

I live in Warwickshire.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If there is one thing that stands out amongst all others it is a good fit.

The company i use has the fitters on the books so there is no rush, just a decent quality fit.

It is so easy to get a fit wrong particularly where a window or door has been strained thus leading to sashes not shutting properly etc.

Lazy surveyors (the guy that measures) will often allow too much fitting gap thus leading to ugly beads or trims being fitted around the windows or doors.

Just emphasize that you want a good seal and that if there are any large gaps that they are also foamed where necessary.

What you don't want is slack windows and the caulking guy sawing the end of a silicone tube rather than simply trimming the nozzle! :eek: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back