Advice on my loft/roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to reinsulate my roof but before i do so, I want to find out if my roof is ok. Basically my house was built in the 1960's and I guess the roof slates used to have some kind of lining but this has since worn/blown away. Therefore the roof slates are visible from inside the loft.

I am wanting to put new insulation between the floor joists and then put boards down so that I can use the space - I guess It would also be a good idea to insulate or put some kind of lining on the roof (behing the roof tiles) . Any suggestions?

I have some photos online of my current roof - so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does it look in a terrible state and in need of reroofing - before i spend money on new insulation, or can i do any of the work myself?

http://picasaweb.google.com/marco.ferri/Roof?authkey=R_0L77Ja2BI

Sponsored Links
my mother had it done.

builders have to take the roof off to put "felt" on then put the tiles back. not cheap

i say felt because i dont know what it is really called

Yep, pricey job. Breathable membrane would be the best thing to use. If it doesn't leak don't worry, looks alright to me.

For the floor, I'd suggest filling to tops of joists with fluffy insulation, 50mm counterbatten, with 50mm rigid foam board between, board over top.

thanks for the reply.
It certainly doesnt leak - but the few boards that I have got down at the moment get covered in all kinds of c*ap - so i wanted to put something on the rafters to stop this from coming through. is that not necessary

Sponsored Links
You can nail hardboard to the rafters, but it must not go right to the top or the bottom of the rafters due to the need for ventilation. You will still get some bits dropping from the apex, but not enough to worry about.

I have used pegboards on my rafters, plenty of ventilation:cool:

The idea of pegboard is very good- but at today's price for this, it puts more holes in your pocket! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back