Advice on removing paint from stairs prior to sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for advice on the best method to remove paint prior to sanding stairs (see photo).
I have access to a Bosch PSM 100 A palm sander which I plan to use to sand the stairs https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/psm-100-a-06033b7000-v35548
IMG_1926.jpg

Is it possible to sand the paint off? If not are there any other recommendations? Any help and advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would get some strong stripper. (I am doing the same task ATM)
you should be able to get some proper professional stripper, most of the DIY stuff is crap.
is very powerful and dangerous.
however it works with good ventilation and gloves/ arm covers/ eye protection.
then use a varnish scraper to collect the goo and use a safe bag to dispose of it

Paint that are stuck on are good paint and provide good protection. Prime over them and then paint. I am assuming you want to paint the stairs. Otherwise, heat gun is an effective paint remover.

Paint that are stuck on are good paint and provide good protection. Prime over them and then paint. I am assuming you want to paint the stairs. Otherwise, heat gun is an effective paint remover.
Thanks. I plan to sand the stairs. Concerned a heat gun would be expensive to run.

Sponsored Links
A sander uses slightly more than 10% of the energy that a stripper uses. Plus paper
However you will have to run it 10 times longer

If you want
Thanks. I plan to sand the stairs. Concerned a heat gun would be expensive to run.

If you plan to sand the risers and treads and then oil/varnish them, you will need a decent random orbital sander.

A heat gun will help to remove the bulk. The methyl chloride paint stripper will remove the bulk of the rest but you will still have a lot of sanding to do if you want to get back to bare wood.

BTW- although I still use MC pint strippers, they are believed to be carcinogenic.

The DIY Bosch sander that you have access to is an orbital sander. The rate of removal is very slow. A random orbital sander will be much faster but being a round disk, it won't get in to the corners.

I do not want to pee on your parade... but, if I were asked to sand those stairs so that they could be oiled, I would allow up to 40 hours. And I have 90mm, 125mm, 150mm, 180mm random orbital and other detail sanders.

A cheaper option would be to give then a light sand/fill and then "wood grain" them. You would effectively be creating a faux wood grain effect.

BTW, the above was the first link that I came across. I haven't watched the video. I provided it to give you cheaper options.

A heat gun can burn the wood, too, i've found paint stripper the best way. The stuff Tiger-rider recommends is ferocious, so a face mask will be a good idea. I prefer a matt varnish to gloss, and remember to do alternate stairs otherwise you'll be peeing in the garden all day.;)

A heat gun can burn the wood, too, i've found paint stripper the best way. The stuff Tiger-rider recommends is ferocious, so a face mask will be a good idea. I prefer a matt varnish to gloss, and remember to do alternate stairs otherwise you'll be peeing in the garden all day.;)

Good point about alternate steps, that way you can walk up and down on the dry steps.

Many people have not figured it out and spent the night on the sofa and ****ed in the garden.

Many people have not figured it out and spent the night on the sofa and ****ed in the garden.
Syd Barratt painted his floor one day and ended up trapped in a corner. Turned it into an album cover: 'The Madcap Laughs'. Sometimes the obvious instructions aren't on the tin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back