Advice regarding hot water system - not combi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a flat that has an oldish hot water system and we only have experience with combi boilers. When the hot water runs out, no water comes from the tap at all. I always thought that if the hot water ran out in this type of system, the water would just run cold. There are other things that are not right with the system, for instance there is a banging noise coming from the pipes when the hot water is running and the radiators are very noisy when they are on. They have a dripping sound and bang a little. We have bled the radiators but no air came out. We cannot locate the temperature for the hot water tank.

Is this just how it is with a hot water tank? I knew that the water can run out, but it is running out even if we have had the hot water on all morning and I only shower for 5 mins. We've thought that maybe the water in the main tank is not going quickly enough into the hot water tank, but that's just a guess.

We are renting and will call the landlord if there is a defidefinitelyroblem, I just wanted to check this stuff wasn't normal first to save face! It would also be easier to tell the landlord what we think is the problem before calling them out, otherwise they fob you off for ages until they want to pay for repairs.

Thanks in advance for any advice on whether this is to be expected or if not what the problem might be.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the hot water tank, I have a freind with an old system that used to run out of hot water and you had to wait 5 or 6 hours for the tank to fill again. It turned out to be a partialy blocked up ball valve so the tank was emptying and taking ages to re fill.
I cant help with the reset but if you can provide more info (makes & modles or a description of the system) the others might be able to.

Allan

older systems do not always have a temperatue stat on the cylinder they are controlled by the boiler temperature dial.
if you have got a stat it will be located somwhere on the hot water cylinder.

as for your water running out it is either a case of the cold water tank is to small or as previous post the ball valve is sticking
have you got a power shower?

noisy rads etc could be that the system need a good flush out and service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back