ADVICE SOUGHT FOR EXTERIOR WALL PAINT

R

robford50

I have a long (roughly 30 feet) exterior wall which used to have render on it. Over the winter the cold weather has got into it meaning that all the render has had to be removed.

We need to restore the wall without rendering it - we have just tried painting a bit of the wall white but the existing marks on the wall (mostly scratches made when the rendering was originally done, probably) are showing through quite badly. We need to get this wall looking better but do not want to render it again. Can you anyone suggest a way of solving this or at least minimizing the appearance of the marks on the wall? Is there a Polycell base paint that would be suitable or something similar? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried or considered textured masonry paint? This will deal with hairline cracks, but not sure if it's enough for your problem.

I've considered it, but like you say I'm not sure it will be enough. It may well be an inevitable fact that the wall would need to be rendered to cover the marks/grooves/bumps but if anyone knows of any product that can help, I'd like to know!

This was a purely DIY effort (professionals may laugh) but it worked to produce a sort of textured finish over brickwork, which was economical.

Mix sharp sand with exterior masonry paint (I used Wickes) and a dollop of pva for external use. You can add as much or as little sand to produce the effect you want. I pva'd the wall with a 4:1 pva mix first and applied the paint mix when the pva was still a bit tacky. When it was fully dry, I did two further coats of exterior masonry paint and it's still fine after five years.

It's quite heavy to put on and a sort of stab/stipple and paint method worked best for me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back