Advice sought for isolating cistern please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon to fit a back to wall type toilet. The cistern sits on top as normal but the cistern inlet will be hidden by the toilet when it's in position. I feel it's always good to be able to switch off water to the cistern near the pan but with a tiled wall behind it and a worktop above, nowhere makes one easy to access.

What is normally done with this type of toilet to isolate cistern close by? Is it ok practice to have to pull the whole toilet forward (on a flexi) to reach an isolating screw or would a small plastic access door be a better idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The good concealed cisterns have internal isolators accessible through the front panel. This enables work to be carried out on them once installed.

Do not fit anything which means you subsequently have to rip out half the installation to get to the serviceable parts.

http://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/concealed-cisterns/

It's not a concealed cistern but once the toilet is pushed back flush with the wall you couldn't access the inlet easily without moving the whole toilet forward

Been trying to decide whats best this morning and still not too sure. A 200x150 access hatch (smallest I could find) seems a bit overkill to reach one isolation screw!

I just looked at the cistern. There's a weird "u" shaped cut away (about 1.5" square) near the top at one side where the cistern would sit against the wall. I'm guessing this might be a small cut away to position a valve behind. Bit high up though to take a feed to top of cistern then down again to inlet. This is probably a plan to solve my problem I guess

Sponsored Links
Normally you would install the inlet pipe close to the soli and then a flexi connector to inlet, which will be hidden behind the toilet.

Yes, you would pull the toilet forward to access

Is it mains or tank fed?

If you needed to do anything that didn't require pulling the toilet forward ( unlikely) you could turn off the cold main or cold feed else where

Hi

It's mains fed. Sorry didn't reply earlier on I was out tackling it. Although admittedly slightly convoluted, I ran the copper feed up to this cistern "gap" in the back of it so as an isolating valve screw was accessible here. It's a rented flat and I like the idea of knowing you can isolate it before either putting the water off elsewhere or having to pull the whole assembly forward.

Curse my dad for buying this toilet off gumtree rather than my usual b&q 49.95 treviso!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back