Advice with blocked sewage drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Came home tonight to find the manhole flowing water out, think its the sewage. has blocked tonight as earlier it was ok.

My property serves my neighbours house too, I have two manholes in the back and two on the drive. One on the drive is overflowing and abit smelly, at the rear 'seems' fine no overflow and toilet flushes fine.

House has been unoccupied for a few months so not sure whats caused it.

Is it just a case of getting some rods down the blocked manhole? as the one further up seems to be ok.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Need to ascertain direction of flow first, if you're confident the drain does flow from the full pit to the rear then thats a good start! Assuming pit at rear is clear, i'd rod from there towards full pit at front. Use a worm or corkscrew attachment, keep turning rods clockwise to avoid them coming undone, and hopefully they'll 'wind into' the blockage and allow you to withdraw it back to the empty pit.

Try and prevent whatever it is going straight through, you want to get it out before it causes further problems! Be warned, there could be some pressure there when you release the backed up waste!

The law has changed with effect from 01/10/2011, now most shared drains (i.e. used by more than 1 property) come under the Water Authorities remit. If you dont fancy the job worth speaking to the Water People and see if they'll help.

Thanks for the reply, thats good news.

Just spoke to my neighbour and he said they been out a few times in the past to clear down the road as it backs up? Rang water people and they sending someone out tonight to see.

My neighbour who knows alot more than I do, reckons its not my responsibility and its further down and they will be responsible.

Let them deal with it, it sounds like its a recurring issue. Better than risking getting covered in the proverbial yourself! :)

Sponsored Links
It amused me that a solicitor working for an old dear next door spent about £3000 ( £1000 for him and £3000 for a drainage company ) having the drain on her side dug up.

He then wrote to me asking if I would contribute towards digging it up on my property!

I just arranged for the local authority on behalf of the water company to sort out the problem at no cost to me!

Pity about the old dear, but she was quite well off though.

Tony

Thanks for all the replies,

Just been round and cleared it, was backed right up. he cleared the trap and
was holding back half the street at my manhole, saw a syringe floating in there somewhere :rolleyes:

very efficient I must add and kept my hands clean :D
Though I reckon could of done it with a mop myself and here I was getting ready to go out and buy all the rods, cameras equipped and all
:LOL:

It amused me that a solicitor working for an old dear next door spent about £3000 ( £1000 for him and £3000 for a drainage company ) having the drain on her side dug up.

He then wrote to me asking if I would contribute towards digging it up on my property!

I just arranged for the local authority on behalf of the water company to sort out the problem at no cost to me!

Pity about the old dear, but she was quite well off though.

Tony

Ouch, naughty solicitor :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back