Advise for a DIYer on some basic wiring

Reaction score
Country
Guyana
good day folks ! i was advised to visit this form for my query as here may be more applicable to my region.
i just want to make sure i have this down right. so im wiring a room, 2 lights and an outlet. i have rough wiring in, pulled a 2.5 from the breaker box in the next room and run 1.5 to light fixtures and outlet and then everything leads back to the switch. i joined all the live (red) wires together (1 from supply and 3 from lights and outlet), insulate wrap it. the supply neutral i connect to one switch for a light and the neutral going to the lights to the other terminal. i then attach the neutral (black) wire leading to the outlet on the switch terminal that has the supply neutral. i then attach a piece of black wire to that same supply neutral terminal on the 1st switch and feed it over to the second near by switch and then to the other terminal connect the neutral for the second set of lights.
is that okay ? i tried the first set of lights and they worked, but just wanted to make sure.

Sponsored Links
From your description it appears you are switching the neutrals which is both dangerous and wrong. You must rewire it to switch the lives.

Sponsored Links
good day folks ! i was advised to visit this form for my query as here may be more applicable to my region.
i just want to make sure i have this down right. so im wiring a room, 2 lights and an outlet. i have rough wiring in, pulled a 2.5 from the breaker box in the next room and run 1.5 to light fixtures and outlet and then everything leads back to the switch. i joined all the live (red) wires together (1 from supply and 3 from lights and outlet), insulate wrap it. the supply neutral i connect to one switch for a light and the neutral going to the lights to the other terminal. i then attach the neutral (black) wire leading to the outlet on the switch terminal that has the supply neutral. i then attach a piece of black wire to that same supply neutral terminal on the 1st switch and feed it over to the second near by switch and then to the other terminal connect the neutral for the second set of lights.
is that okay ? i tried the first set of lights and they worked, but just wanted to make sure.
DIY Guy22
I am sorry that you did not receive a much better answer from this site as from the one from which I may have redirected you.
(https://www.diychatroom.com/threads/advise-for-a-diyer-on-some-basic-wiring.721506/#post-6538407 refers to the other site, for anyone who may be interested on this site.)

Of course, on both sites you were warned of NOT switching the Neutral conductor but to switch only the Line conductor.

It may be that because the "Line" conductor in North America has the insulation color of Black but the Neutral conductor of "old" UK (etc.) wiring also has the "Neutral" insulation colour of Black that you may have become confused between these two very different Standards.

Back