Advise - single pipe heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After a bit of advice, please.

I live in a small (12 units) purpose built (1989) block of flats. All the flats have their own central heating system which, we are told, is a single pipe system.

The landlord has informed us of the following facts. I would like your expert comment, please. I should add that the landlord is also the managing agent and contractor for repair and a bit of a ****

The system is inefficient. I am inclined to believe this point.

The copper pipes are in concrete and will corrode.

Pipes in the heating system are becoming furred up with calcium as we live in a hard water area. Not too convinced on this statement as the water is not being replaced in the system. If any clogging up surely it is ‘sludge’ (ferrous oxide?) caused by chemical reaction.

Radiators are special design, with in built bypass, and no longer available. The landlord has, in another flat, tried to add a bypass in the pipework, unsuccessfully.

Want to replace with ‘modern’ radiatiors with thermostatic valves. Having read comments on this site I have the opinion that you cannot use standard thermostatic valves with a Single Pipe System.

The tell us that when new boilers are fitted they can be affected by the poor flow of the old single pipe system causing overheating and shutting down.

Anyone who has a new boiler should consider the additional work to have the central heating system converted to a two pipe system.

Those with old boilers (eg Baxi Solo) should consider a complete upgrade, boiler and pipework.

What has prompted all this is that they are having problems fixing an existing issue after replacing all the radiators and having installed 2 new boilers. I get the impression they do not have a clue what they are doing

The point is that any work is chargeable to residents, so a nice little earner for them. I would like to be able to make an informed decision on what to do.

Thanks
Rick

Sponsored Links
So for clarity, each flat has its own boiler and heating system? Or is it on a centralised system?

Sponsored Links
Hi

I live in a purpose built (1989) block of flats. All the flats have their own central heating system which, we are told, is a single pipe system.

The landlord has informed us of the following facts. I would like your expert comment, please. I should add that the landlord is a bit of a ****

The system is inefficient. I am inclined to believe this point.

The copper pipes are in concrete and will corrode.

Radiators are special design, with in built bypass, and no longer available. The landlord has, in another flat, tried to add a bypass in the pipework,

Anyone who has a new boiler should consider the additional work to have the central heating system converted to a two pipe system.

the impression they do not have a clue what they are doing

The point is that any work is chargeable to residents, so a nice little earner for them. I would like to be able to make an informed decision on what to do.

Thanks
Rick
Do the rads have a central tapping underneath with a single valve ? I've seen them in a 70's block of social housing flats . The rads are "daisy chained " together with a one pipe loop. Yes the lot wants re doing from scratch.

Thanks for replies. The block was built by Jarvis and not for social housing but for leasehold sale. The lease is quite specific in that work on ch/hw systems is the responsibility of the landlord, rechargeable through the service charge. Each flat has it’s own boiler etc.

Nige F - I’ll have a look at how they are plumbed.

Does anyone know if the comments made about the radiators (no longer available) is true?

Rick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back