AEG dishwasher using to much rinse aid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while back our dishwasher was filled with foam after each wash. We called an engineer, and he cleared it all out and adjusted the drain pipe where it connects into the pipework behind our kitchen sink -- said that suds could have been travelling back from the sink.

Since then my wife's been complaining that glasses smell of chemical, and they seemed to have an oily (but dry) sheen to them, so I turned the rinse aid dispenser control down a bit. Eventually I ended up turning it down to minimum.

The point is, though, I still seem to be getting the low-rinse-aid light every 7-10 days, and having to fill the dispenser -- it seems to be using much too much, even though we only do a wash every other day. Could too much rinse aid have cause the foaming? Is there a simple fix for this apparent over-dispensing? Is the dispenser unit a replaceable item?

The machine is AEG model FVORIT35085V1.

Sponsored Links
Most tablets these day's already contain the rinse aid function so you maybe overdosing by using separate rinse aid

Thanks for the replies.

We still use liquid detergent, not all-in-one tablets. I suppose we could convert to tablets.

I've tried using no rinse aid, and I can see that it does make a difference, so is worth using.

Sponsored Links
Another get-by method might be to fill the rinse-aid dispenser with a diluted solution. If you only use the washer every other day and it empties the dispenser in 10 days, that's 5 washes. It should be good for around 50 washes so you need to dilute by 10:1 (10 water and 1 rinse-aid)

Yes this is a pain in the butt, but it's either that or you pay for a technician to sort the machine out.

Thanks Jackrae. I'm not going to go to the hassle of diluting my rinse aid, but I will give the combination tablets a try.

Since my original post I've found that I can get a replacement dispenser unit, and it looks like it might be a simple thing to install.

So can anyone tell me if it's a simple DIY job please? It looks like two spade connectors for electrical connection, so does the unit then just snap into the door panel?

I have an AEG dishwasher and it started using increasing amounts of rinse aid. This was traced to the plug that seals the rinse aid container (the thing that you undo to fill the container) as it had distorted over time (about 15 years). A new plug and all was well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back