Aerial – 4 way booster - job not finished!

I'd say the chances of one 50mA TV amp going wrong are far, far lower than the four 50Va 12V transformers for my bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Monkeh, I get your point about the power supplies, and I think all things being equal then you may well be correct. The thing is though that your lights aren't on 24/7. A TV amp is.

The thing about lofts is that they get very hot in summer and can be bitterly cold in winter. That's not good for electronics for a start. On top of that there's the risk of a leak which means that water could end up dripping on to a 240V device.... that's on 24/7....and left out of sight.... in an area of the house that's hard to reach.

At the end of the day it's possible to argue that the chances of a house fire being started by a loft installed mains powered TV amp are very very slim.... and I think you'd be right. But the point is that when it comes to AV there's an awful lot of people who'd go DIY and install their own gear... and sometimes they'll cut corners in the process. Also, "low risk" isn't the same as "no risk". Ask the people travelling on the Guildford to London train about the odds of a 26-tonne cement mixer falling on their train...

oxshott1.jpg

oxshott2.jpg

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, or a doom and gloom merchant; all I'm saying is be aware and avoid unnecessary risk. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back