after the skol it's advocaat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not wanting to hijack the entertaining skol thread I've got a question about Advocaat.
Clearing out my late father's wardrobe just recently I came across several bottles of the stuff. I've no idea how long it has been there and don't recall him drinking any for quite a few years now, and of course this sort of thing doesn't have a use by date or anything similiar just a note to consume within six months of opening.
However, it has been there long enough for it to seperate and there is a clear golden layer on the bottom of the bottle whilist the rest is the normal yellow stuff albeit a tad thicker, it seems to be as thick as ketchup.
The bottles haven't been opened and have been stored in the dark but of course I'm wondering if they will still be ok to drink. Should I pour it all out and remix it as shaking doesn't seem to have any effect?
I dare say some of you will say chuck it in the bin it's vile but I'm actually quite partial to a snowball even if it's a bit old fashioned and twee :D

Sponsored Links
I would imagine anything made with eggs would have a short shelf life.

Just found this.

Cream liqueurs, those that contain dairy, cream or egg, are a different story and should be discarded after 18 months or so. Liqueurs like Bailey's Irish Cream, Advocaat and Amarula should be consumed within a year of opening, although some of their cheaper creamy cousins will deteriorate faster. Even in unopened bottles, these liqueurs will spoil and be undrinkable after a year and a half or more. Some of these touchier liqueurs will include an expiration date on the bottle as well. It is unnecessary to refrigerate cream liqueurs, but it can't hurt either.

It does sound as if its separated too much LL...I would open it and see what it smells like......if it smells ok give it a whirl and try it.
It does have brandy in it so that should act as a preservative....but use it pretty quickly once opened.
Haven't drunk it for years, I always think its a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it, or you drink it but you are still not really sure why :eek: :confused:
(does that make sense ...I know what I mean )

Sponsored Links
Back