Vokera Maxin 28e combi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will be quite a long post, so make yourself comfortable... :)

I have a Vokera Maxin 28e combi installed. It is about 10 years old and just recently it has been only delivering intermittent hot water. This mostly showed itself in the shower when it would be hot for 30 seconds - 1 minute then cold for a couple of minutes. The same pattern would be seen at the hot tap.

The first thing I did was to check the plate heat exchanger. I smacked it with a bit of wood a few times and flushed water through it and a few bits of stuff came out but nothing substantial. I put it back in place and the symptoms remained as they were.

The second thing I did was to clean out the fan. There was some loose sand-like substance on the fan blades and in the housing, and that just brushed off. It's not like it was clogged with the stuff, and I'd be surprised if there was enough to make any difference. But I cleaned it anyway.

At the same time I checked that the tubes to the air pressure switch were clear, and blowing gently through the tubes caused the switch to sound like it was opening and closing. I didn't check this electrically.

Also I cleaned the combustion chamber because there was a thin carpet of ash in there. I suspect this was the final resting place of many insects, since there's nothing to stop them flying in if the fan isn't running and the boiler is off.

This all seemed to improve things a bit, in that the hot water would stay on more reliably but it was still not right. While the shower was running, and the gas was turning on and off, I tried adjusting the minimum flow rate at the modulator coil. This might have helped, but it's hard to say. In any case, the boiler does modulate the gas supply - there is a clear difference between high and low flames.

Last night I checked the two diaphragms, and they are fine. The inlet and outlet pipes to the bigger diaphragm housing were blocked (probably 'very nearly blocked' would be more accurate') by gritty sludge, so I cleaned them out. As a result the burner microswitch now turns on much sooner than before because the push rod comes out much quicker, which is good.

But I'm still left with the DHW going cold for a time before the burner kicks in again.

When the water does run cold it is, and this sounds obvious, because the burner has been off for a while. The temperature gauge on the boiler shows the water is cold. If I'm standing at the boiler at this point I can hear clicks and such like coming from the area of the gas valve behind the modulator and the ignition control box, but the burner doesn't light at this point. It will light again at some point after, so I'm wondering if maybe the ignition circuit is a bit dodgy. (Presumably if gas is turned on but ignition doesn't happen, i.e. the temperature doesn't rise, the gas is turned off again to give the combustion chamber time to clear before trying again?)

So I'm looking for any clues as to what to look at next. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
You have already done a lot of things which would normally be done by a gas registered engineer. You can do this as a DIYer but only if you are competent. It would be inappropriate for us to give you advice on gas related matters on an open forum.

In any case the problem is not likely to be gas related anyway. You say you "adjusted" the gas valve mod coil. Were you measuring the burner pressure or adjusting blind? What figures?

You seem very keen to jump into the works but I would suggest a little time spent trying to diagnose the fault would be more efficient.

The symptoms sound like a blocked plate HE or a restricted flow. I suggest you measure the temperatures on the primary circuit. The differential across the plate should only be about 10-15° if the plate is not blocked or heat transfer is reduced and if the flow rate is correct.

Unfortunately, the effects of a blocked boiler and a failing pump are similar. You can remove the pump head to check if the impeller is blocked and then do the finger test ( see FAQ ).

Then there are the two sensors, you can substitute a 6.7K resistor on test for each sensor in turn whilst measuring the installed sensor. The fixed resistor will eliminate a sensor which is failing when hot.

Report back for any further help.

Tony Glazier

Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The mod coil was adjusted blind, and I don't have any means to measure burner pressure. My plan is to get a proper service done once I've (a) fixed the problem or (b) exhausted all the options that are within my comfort level.

I might try the plate heat exchanger again but using chemical means rather than just flushing water through. When I examined the HE first time round I put the garden hose at one end (the nozzle fits fairly snugly) and put a good bit of pressure through the HE and the flow seemed to be quite free, but I guess there's enough free space to allow sufficient water flow but insufficient heat transfer.

I'll run the your suggested tests first though. Cheers.

Tony,

I might try the plate heat exchanger again but using chemical means rather than just flushing water through
. When I examined the HE first time round I put the garden hose at one end (the nozzle fits fairly snugly) and put a good bit of pressure through the HE and the flow seemed to be quite free, but I guess there's enough free space to allow sufficient water flow but insufficient heat transfer.

Cheers.

Agan you are rushing to do things withoug seeing what the problem is. You need to measure the temperatures as I explained.

You cannot check the plate by just seeing the flow rate throught it. Its operation depends on transfer of heat. All you have done is to measure flow through it which is not the whole story.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Colin you will be better off getting someone (who repairs boiler for a living) to service the boiler as per the manual. Chances are he will, during commissioning check boiler operation and set it/ take action to repair the remaining defects. Do verify the fitter can repair boilers and is not just a part changer (avoid this type of person)

Lot of failures are often due to lack of proper service.

The mod coil was adjusted blind,
Ohmigod. You could have left the boiler dangerous, or easily broken it.
Make sure that's checked by a gas engineers very soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back