Air Admittance Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to solve a very loud gurgling problem that occurs when my Kitchen sink drains. I think the best solution would be an Air Admittance Valve (AAV), but from what I've read, they have to be above the flood level of the highest appliance on the system?

Lowest to Highest, the waste system is (40mm):-

(i) Outside sink
(ii) Dishwasher (Regular U bend trap)
(iii) Kitchen Sink(s) (AntiVac Bottle traps)

So my dilemma is, how do I get the AAV above the flood level of my Kitchen sink? I can't have it popping out the counter top as that will look awful!!!

Have I got the wrong idea?

I didn't create this problem, it's always been this way!

Sponsored Links
Have I got the wrong idea?
Yes. Without writing a book on it, there are several types.
Just change the trap for one with an air admittance valve. Aka an anti-syphon trap.
You'll have trouble finding one if yours is one with extra spigots on it.
If there's a suitable place you can insert a 1 1/2" tee with an AAV in the upward bit.

The flood level stuff is for aav's on main drainage size pipes.

Before you do anything, tip a couple of saucepans full of boiling water down it, which may well clear it out enough to solve the problem.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Before you do anything, tip a couple of saucepans full of boiling water down it, which may well clear it out enough to solve the problem.

I've try everything like that, numerous kettles, bleach, cillit bang, plunging, even those gas canisters! (that was fun!)

Aka an anti-syphon trap.

I've looked into HepvO traps, is that a similar type? They seem to be a little expensive, and it maybe a little difficult to fit under the sink (even with adaptors).

The flood level stuff is for aav's on main drainage size pipes.

Does that mean an AAV can be fitted under the sink? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only ever done Like-for-Like replacements, so this is all a little new to me!

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help on that one, all sorted now!!! Works brilliant!

There's another thing bothering me now, if I wanted to tee into a waste pipe that's set at a 2.5 degree slope, how do I do it? If I use a 90 degree tee, the vertical pipe will not be straight.

Does anyone have a link to 92.5/87.5 degree tees?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back