Antisyphon trap. Alternative to air admittance value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shopping to replace my waste fittings during a kitchen refit and I've stumbled across traps with an "antisyphon" valve built in, which sounds identical to an Air Admittance Value AAV. If I by this trap then can I cross the AAV off my shopping list? The AAV is more pricey than the trap so this would be a great time AND price saving.

Sponsored Links
Get the trap, it 'eliminates the need for secondary ventilation', so you wouldn't need an AAV.

Don't praise me too much, I make as many mistakes as the next man.

For instance, I just walked ages to measure a pipeline, forgot my tape and calipers.

Doh!

Sponsored Links
Can I just try another quick q since you seem pretty clued up? I've noticed that sink-traps that include an appliance connector (usually washing machine) have the appliance on the clean side of the trap. Is it a big no-no to have the appliance on the foul side? Both washing machines and dishwashers have pumps so I would have thought that there would be no way for foul air to find its way into the room, plus it would reduce the noise coming from the plug hole when the appliance is evacuating

Can I just try another quick q since you seem pretty clued up? I've noticed that sink-traps that include an appliance connector (usually washing machine) have the appliance on the clean side of the trap. Is it a big no-no to have the appliance on the foul side? Both washing machines and dishwashers have pumps so I would have thought that there would be no way for foul air to find its way into the room, plus it would reduce the noise coming from the plug hole when the appliance is evacuating

How will you stop foul smell getting back to an appliance otherwise?

I was thinking that the appliance would have a natural trap, being the pump full of water. But thinking about it some more I guess the pump probably operates until all water has been flushed out and so the pump contains air in its rest state, so probably not such a good idea to bypass the trap

The pump is only going to be doing anything whilst it is needed, otherwise, there is no water in the system, so air is free to flow.

Not wishing to discount anyone's opinion but....I believe your thinking isn't far off Robin.
If you've ever emptied a filter in a washing machine you will find that there is a good bit of water left in there. Most appliances have either a built in internal trap or create natural traps either by the drain pipe, being looped over, or by the pump and ancillary pipework at the bottom of the machine having water left in it and it being below the level of the outlet.
In my experience, the pump rarely removes all the water.

Not wishing to discount anyone's opinion but....I believe your thinking isn't far off Robin.
If you've ever emptied a filter in a washing machine you will find that there is a good bit of water left in there. Most appliances have either a built in internal trap or create natural traps either by the drain pipe, being looped over, or by the pump and ancillary pipework at the bottom of the machine having water left in it and it being below the level of the outlet.
In my experience, the pump rarely removes all the water.

Personally, i'd be fitting a P-trap / fitting the outlets to a P-trap anyway unless I can see the trap and get at it to maintain.

Not discounting the need for a trapped spigot at all TT.

Was just putting forward a point of view about appliances having internal traps either fitted or induced.
That being said, I've seen machine spigots in-line on waste pipes without traps and without any issues of foul air ingress but I would still agree that a trapped spigot is best.

Not a problem at all, I'm open to other's opinions. How else am I gonna learn. :)

Another thing I have seen is where people have created a makeshift trap with a flexi hose from the outlet of the machine strapped to a larger outlet (not sealed). This then led straight to waste and they wonder why they have a foul smell in their utility room.

I think it just saves alot of bother in the long run if you just attach it anyway.

Robin, it's entirely your choice. If you have done your research about your appliances and have the room to attach to the waste pipe after the trap, then have at it my friend.

I hope the installation goes well for you. Just don't bodge it, because the is definitely not OK :LOL:

Thx for the advice guys. I actually have the waste pipe cut open at the moment without any trap at all, and the room still doesn't smell. I have good access to the area, so I'll probably fit the appliances to the foul side without a trap, relying on the natural trap of the appliance pump/flexible hoses. If someday it starts smelling then I can add a 40mm trap quite easily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back