air in 1 rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me with this problem, I have just had some pipe work move around in the loft, and the header tank moved to an higher location about 2 foot above previous point, all of which are connected to my worcster central heating boiler. since all this as been done I have a problem with air having to be released every other day in the landing radiator, which is the nearest to the pump. I have tied the ballcock up and hung a piece of white cable with a black line on it to see if there is any leaks, but the water stays at a constant level. just to make sure that there is no sludge in the system, I have flushed the system three times on each occasion topping up with sentinel X400, leaving it in the system for one month period then draining off, and removed vast amounts of black sludge on each occasion, I have also removed all the downstairs rads and flushed them out using a hosepipe. the boiler is only 2 years old its a (worcster) and as just recently had a new heat exchanger fitted by one of worcsters engineers (due to kettleing) the problem only started after the pipe work was done. All the fittings used were compression fittings and have been checked for leaks, Any assistant or advise please. Regards Mick

Sponsored Links
sounds like the open vent pipework, it must rise continuously and be at least 22 mm pipe,might have been mucked up in the move.

The open vent is made up from 15mm pipe which is coming off 22mm pipe and is then returned into the small header tank which feeds the central heating system, there is also another 15mm pipe which as a bleed valve at the end of it, the plumber who re-routed the pipe work as just done a copy of the original pipe work but placed it in a different location. I know its hard for anyone to even try to imagine what pipes are where, without seeing it . will do the bowl off water test that someone else mentioned on another forum to see if its sucking air in through the vent, still would appreciate any comments on this situation

Regards and thanks

Mick :LOL:

Will try to submit a drawing later, if I can work out how to do paste drawings onto these pages

A 22mm pipe should come off the top of the Worcester which acts as a combined feed and vent, it should rise continually and go into the bottom of the feed tank, it should be a minimum of 12" from the highest point in the system to the top of the water level in the tank.

Sponsored Links
Before you start cutting pipe....
Has the pump been worked on recently, or the isolating valves used? If so, make sure there's no air-leak close to the suction side of the pump. Isolator valve stem seals are favourite - check gland nuts are tight-ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back