Air in pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a DIY heat bank set up which for me works very well(before you bring me down!!)

My only issue is there seems to be air bubbles forming in the pipework and being in the loft above my bedroom, makes a noise when I'm trying to sleep.

So basically from the boiler I have a flow pipe that goes into the side wall at the top of the copper cylinder. It enters via a flange and a diffuser tube (internal pipe with furthest end blocked and about 20 holes drilled in the sides).
The return to the boiler is via a mixer valve taking a hot feed from just below the flow point on the cylinder and a cold feed taken from the bottom of the cylinder.
Somewhere in this loop, air is entering but only seems to be when the variable pump on the boiler is circulating quicker.
System is vented via the very top of the cylinder.

My thoughts are:
1. Could it be the holes in the diffuser pipe creating bubbles?
2. Did it need a pipe inserted 6 inches or so at the outlet points(sure I read somewhere about air climbing up the internal side walls or something)
3. Does it need some sort of vent or air separator on the flow to cure it.
(Originally had flow connected to the top of cylinder and combined with vent to expansion tank but found pump was forcing hot water up vent pipe.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back