AIR in through the F & E tank. Noisy system now!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to a new flat three weeks ago and it has a very old conventional central heating system with a cold water tank, hot water cylinder and a feed and expansion tank. When I moved in and saw the F&E tank (alone in the top of the wardrobe in my room) I wrongly though it was an old cistern for the toilet so I emptied it and closed the water valve. Of course, the next morning the heating started to do some estrange breathing noises and realising my mistake I opened the tank's valve filling it with water again. The problem now is that some air went into the system through the feed pipe an now the hot water cylinder sounds like filling a half empty metallic water tank every morning about 10 mins before the heating starts working. I have checked the radiators and they are hot on the top so they seem to free of air. My guess is that the air is trapped in the cylinder and that's what is making the system so noisy. Could someone offer any light on the problem? Is there an easy way to bleed the system? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a bleed cap between diverter valve & cylinder connection if so loosen it till water appears

If not can you shut all the radiator's down on the valves to help persuade the air within the coil to move?

Perhaps the cold fill is blocked and when you turned it back on it hasn't filled the system properly.

I think it will be blocked where the cold fill joins the system pipe work. needs this cutting out and replacing.

Sponsored Links
Hello. First of all, thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

I've had a friend with better plumbing skills than me checking the system and he found out that source of the dripping noise was not coming from inside the cylinder. I looks like the pump was on a very high setting, making a strong hissing noise and generating enough pressure to push water out through the vent pipe into the cold water tank. After lowering the pump setting to the minimum the hissing noise is barely noticeable and the dripping only happens occasionally. I still think I could do more to have the system running even more smoothly but I can live with it like this for the moment.

Once again, many thanks for your posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back