Air into closed system CH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way air can be getting into a closed CH system?

I'd fitted a new PRV, X800'd the system and flushed it a few times, X100'd it and refilled it to 1.3bar and vented the all rads. Run it a few times and vented the rads again and filled it back to 1.3bar.

After a few days the pressure had gone up a couple of points. Re-bled the highest rad to find more air in it. 'Ok' I thought 'lets see what happens' .

Took some more air out of this same rad again today rather surprisingly.

In the past couple of days the boiler/pipes have started to be a bit noisy again (like vibration noise) whereas it was completely quiet after I did all the work.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Next time you bleed a radiator see if the air smells of eggs or if you purt a match to it it pops. If so then it is not air getting into the system but hydrogen building up.

Hydrogen is a by product of corrosion in the heating system. To stop the corrosion and hydrogen build up add a corrosion inhibitor. :)

Sponsored Links
Could just be air in the system left in there from the original fill up. You could have missed venting it out the first time.

I put a lighter to it and I think it did pop, now what?

I did add a litre of Sentinel X100 inhibitor when i refilled the system 10 days ago. Should I add more? (8 rads (three bed semi)

I put a lighter to it and I think it did pop, now what?

I did add a litre of Sentinel X100 inhibitor when i refilled the system 10 days ago. Should I add more? (8 rads (three bed semi)

No that's enough. Just let it circulate and do it's stuff. You may need to bleed some rads for a little while yet, but it will stop. Patience is a virtue! :LOL:

LOL It's definately hydrogen, I set light to it as I bled the rad and burnt the heck out of my thumb trying to close the bleed valve :evil:

At least I know for sure now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back