Airing cupboard above a stairwell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my hot water cylinder as it is in the way of a new bathroom.

Space-wise, the best location would be above the stairwell, with the joists supported at one end by an external wall, and at the other by a structure yet to be defined.

At the external wall end, I would use joist hangers fixed into the mortar of the inner skin (1920s cavity wall).

At the other end I have lifted the floorboards to see what structure I am dealing with. The landing has 3 joists running in parallel, approx 3 metres long, approx 175mmx56mm (7" by 2 1/4 ", as it's 1920s!).

I have chipped off some plaster and the joist highlighted in red below, appears to be supported by a wall of red bricks along its entire width and length. The wall is approx 15cm thick, so may be double-width. However, the edge of the joist is right up to the facing edge of the brick.

I was planning to use 3 joists, 47x147mm, 1 at either end and one in the centre (i.e. 450mm centres). Floor would be marine ply, 18mm. Does that all seem right for a loading of approx 200kg (150kg for tank, 10-20kg of linen, plus studs and plasterboard to form the wall of the cupboard)?

The next question is how to support the landing end of those joists approx 40cm above the red-highlighted joist without risk of the structure "skewing" into a parallelogram... If I build a frame from 4x2s with diagonal bracing, and coach bolt that to the top of the red-highlighted joist, will that do?

Also, as I'm planning on installing a shower pump in this cupboard, do I need to take into account vibration? Possibly a silly question!

Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

Sponsored Links
I realise I went off on a bit of a ramble there!

In short, my questions are:

1) If a joist is support along its length by a load-bearing wall (red brick), to what degree is the load capacity of the joist increased?

2) Is the following sufficient: 147x47mm joists with a design length of approx 1m, 45cm centres, total loading approx 70kg per joist, 3 joists in total, joist hangers at one end, bolted onto a wooden structure at the other.

3) Do I need to take into account the vibration of a shower pump?

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back